Wednesday, April 11, 2007

A Local Non-Place: B10 Ingraham


So, I needed to find a local non-place and I went to a place that I thought would be just that. I went to do this assignment in B10 Ingraham, a major lecture hall on campus, as I’m sure many of you know. I did not actually have a class, I just figured I would go there and do this assignment in the back while an intro Econ lecture occurred.

As I was sitting there in the back, I sat in the middle of a row without anyone sitting next to me on either side. The single words that anyone spoke to me were when a guy went to sit on the other side of me, and asked if he could get through. I said, “sure” and did the half get-up to let him through. That was the sole word I spoke between entering the class and leaving. When looking around the room before class started, I would say roughly 80% of the people were not talking to anyone. Many had iPods that they were simply listening to as they sat there, or set up their notebooks. Also, many people were reading the two campus newspapers while waiting for class to start. I even saw two people talking on cell phones a mere 1 minute prior to lecture starting. The other 20% of the people were in fact talking to each other, sometimes in small little groups. The professor arrived 5 minutes prior to the start of lecture, and spent 4 of those minutes setting up the document cam and lecture notes. She spent the last minute scanning the room and just looking at the students.

During the lecture, nearly everybody was taking notes while looking and listening to the lecture being given. Some people were still reading papers or clearly doing something other than pay attention, which I simply cannot understand why them came in the first place. Nobody talked to anyone else during lecture, except the professor occasionally asked the class something and then one person would answer. Of course you couldn’t even hear that person’s answer from the back of the room, so the professor repeated the answer. When the lecture was 2 minutes from being over, slowly everyone started to pack up. Some just closed their notebook, other zipped up their backpacks, and some basically were out of their seats already. The professor then ended a minute early, partially because everyone forced the issue, and everyone got up at once. There was definitely chatter among people, although I would still say a large majority got packed and walked out on their own without talking to anyone.

In terms of Auge’s non-places and the discussion we had in class on Tuesday, I think my observations clearly come to one conclusion. That conclusion is that a place is never solely a place or a non-place. It is determined by how you are using the space, and what perspective you have when you are in the space. From my perspective, I was definitely in a non-place, one which was a temporary space to be in and where even though I was next to hundreds of people, I was essentially in solitude. On top of it, there is no history in the room that I know of or matters as far as I am concerned, and relationships were not made at all. Yet, for those people that are in groups and chatted quite often while in the class, it may be a place for them. They have relationships in the lecture hall, and are not in solitude. It also may be a place for the professor, who very well could have been teaching classes in that lecture hall for 10 years or more, creating a history for her. So, I think lecture halls provide a good viewing space to see how non-places and places are the same spaces, for different people.

3 comments:

Miranda said...

I completely agree! I have found this true in a TON of the lectures I have taken here, but the ones where I talk to someone I always feel more compelled to attend. And, when you are in a lecture of 300 students, and you feel like no one will notice if you are not there, I think it makes it a LOT easier to skip. Sometimes I wish our campus had more smaller sized classed for these reasons.

Becky said...

I don't have a lot of large classes (my classes consists of at most 20 people) so when I do attend a large lecture it is always exciting. I also feel the same way that in a large lecture it is easier to justify skipping. One semester I had a large 300 person lecture and I deifinetely skipped a few times, while in my small classes I never missed a class.

Sam said...

I never even thought of the fact that its easier to skip classes because of the same reasons that a lecture hall is a non-place. And I'm guessing that if you have a friend that you talk to in a class or for some reason it's a place to you, you would be less likely to skip the class.